South Bay News
South Bay janitor, bus driver suspected of child molestation
LIVE OAK, Calif. -- A longtime janitor and bus driver at a Christian school in Live Oak has been arrested on suspicion of child molestation, according to the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office.
Ruben Ceballos Cobarruvias, 47, was arrested at about 10:45 a.m. Tuesday after an investigation determined that he allegedly molested two minors a decade ago at VHM Christian School, sheriff's Deputy Ryan Kennedy said.
He had worked at the school since 2001, according to the sheriff's office.
Cobarruvias may also have had contact with children at Monterey Bay Academy in Watsonville where he parked the school bus he drove for VHM Christian School students, Kennedy said.
Both schools are run by the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Investigators believe there may be more molestation victims and are asking anyone with information on the case to call the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office at (831) 454-2311.
VHM Christian School Principal Judy Seagreaves said in a statement that Cobarruvias has been placed on administrative leave and that the school will cooperate with deputies in the investigation.
"We consider the children enrolled in VHM Christian School to be precious gifts entrusted to our care; protecting them from harm is among our greatest concerns. Our prayers go out to everyone involved in it," she said.
santa cruz county, children, sex crimes, south bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case