South Bay News
Suspect ID'd in death of woman found inside car near school in SJ
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A man arrested in connection with the homicide of a woman whose body was found Tuesday in a car near an East San Jose elementary school has been identified as Oscar Ayala, police said Friday.
Ayala, 43, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of murder after residents living close to San Antonio Elementary School, at 1721 E. San Antonio St., reported seeing him in the area last weekend, police Officer Albert Morales said.
Morales said the suspect has a distinct appearance for recognition, standing 6 feet 8 inches tall and weighing 300 pounds.
The murder victim was Reina Figueroa, 49, of San Jose, who was pronounced dead after officers found her body inside the car near the school, Morales said.
Detectives have learned that the two knew each other, Morales said.
Anyone with further information about the homicide is urged to call San Jose police at (408) 277-5283 or Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers at (408) 947-7867.
crime, san jose, south bay news
- Mudslide causes trees on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body