South Bay News
San Jose police search for home invasion suspect
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Several schools and libraries in the Alum Rock area of San Jose are on lockdown this afternoon as authorities search for a suspect in a home invasion robbery, a Santa Clara County sheriff's captain said.
Around 11:20 a.m., deputies responded to a burglary in progress in the 14000 block of Chrisland Avenue in unincorporated San Jose, sheriff's Capt. Rick Sung said.
Two women were inside the home at the time of the intrusion, and they told deputies that five men had entered the residence and that at least one had a gun, according to Sung.
Responding deputies saw the suspects trying to flee and were able to apprehend four of them, Sung said. The fifth evaded authorities, and they are still searching for him.
A sheriff's helicopter was deployed for the search, as were K-9 units from the San Jose Police Department, Sung said.
Some schools were placed on lockdown, as were the Dr. Roberto Cruz-Alum Rock and Educational Park branch libraries.
A librarian at the first library, located at 3090 Alum Rock Ave., said staff there were told by the sheriff's office to shelter in place around 1:20 p.m.
Staff at the Educational Park branch at 1772 Educational Park Drive said they had also been advised to shelter in place.
East Side Union High School District Superintendent Chris Funk said no schools in his district had been affected, but that he had been briefed on the situation and was told several other schools were locked down.
home invasion, san jose, SJPD, south bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos