South Bay News
SJ police arrest man accused of murder in double fatal crash
SAN JOSE -- An East Palo Alto man has been arrested on suspicion of murder for a hit-and-run crash that killed two women on their way to work at San Jose International Airport earlier this month, police said.
Police said officers arrested 24-year-old Danny Coleman in Union City on Friday in connection with the Sept. 2 crash that claimed the lives of San Jose residents Carmen Zavala, 63, and Cristina Alvaro DeLeon, 62.
The women were heading to the airport to begin their shifts at eateries there around 3:15 a.m. when Coleman broadsided their car in his Mercedes-Benz, according to police.
Both women were killed in the crash, which wrecked their car so badly that police struggled to verify its make and model, police said.
Police said California Highway Patrol officers had attempted to stop Coleman's vehicle a short time before the fatal crash when they saw him speeding on northbound U.S. Highway 101.
After exiting the freeway at First Street, the Mercedes appeared to be stopping but the driver sped away again, leading officers on a brief chase, according to police.
The officers stopped following the Mercedes for safety reasons and came upon the victims' totaled car a short time later.
An ongoing investigation and search using registration information from the Mercedes led police to Coleman.
Police said they could not disclose details that prompted them to classify the case as a double homicide, saying that the investigation is still unfolding.
Anyone with additional information about the fatal crash is asked to call police at (408) 277-5283 or Silicon Valley Crimestoppers at (408) 947-STOP. Information may be eligible for a cash reward.
san jose, hit and run, crime, south bay news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 18 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer...
18 min ago
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
28 min ago