South Bay News
SJ police arrest man accused of murder in double fatal crash
SAN JOSE -- An East Palo Alto man has been arrested on suspicion of murder for a hit-and-run crash that killed two women on their way to work at San Jose International Airport earlier this month, police said.
Police said officers arrested 24-year-old Danny Coleman in Union City on Friday in connection with the Sept. 2 crash that claimed the lives of San Jose residents Carmen Zavala, 63, and Cristina Alvaro DeLeon, 62.
The women were heading to the airport to begin their shifts at eateries there around 3:15 a.m. when Coleman broadsided their car in his Mercedes-Benz, according to police.
Both women were killed in the crash, which wrecked their car so badly that police struggled to verify its make and model, police said.
Police said California Highway Patrol officers had attempted to stop Coleman's vehicle a short time before the fatal crash when they saw him speeding on northbound U.S. Highway 101.
After exiting the freeway at First Street, the Mercedes appeared to be stopping but the driver sped away again, leading officers on a brief chase, according to police.
The officers stopped following the Mercedes for safety reasons and came upon the victims' totaled car a short time later.
An ongoing investigation and search using registration information from the Mercedes led police to Coleman.
Police said they could not disclose details that prompted them to classify the case as a double homicide, saying that the investigation is still unfolding.
Anyone with additional information about the fatal crash is asked to call police at (408) 277-5283 or Silicon Valley Crimestoppers at (408) 947-STOP. Information may be eligible for a cash reward.
san jose, hit and run, crime, south bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos