South Bay News
Santa Cruz CASA volunteer arrested for child molestation
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- In the Santa Cruz Mountains there is a case of broken trust. A man who was supposed to protect for the interest of children is instead being accused of preying on them. He's been a youth counselor, advocate and a coach. Now there is another label from police -- molester.
Brian Criswell of Santa Cruz is in jail accused of child molestation. The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's office says he engaged in illegal conduct with two minors while volunteering for the county's CASA program. CASA stands for Court Appointed Special Advocate. Volunteers offer friendship and support for abused and neglected children and make sure the child's needs are met.
Before being sworn in as officer of the court, a prospective volunteer faces an extensive background check. CASA's executive director says they dismissed Criswell as soon as they learned about the investigation. He'd been a volunteer since 2008.
"Anyone that would do harm to a child or take part in this type of criminal behavior really has no business in being near children, let alone volunteering at a child advocacy organization," said Cynthia Druley, the executive director of CASA of Santa Cruz County.
The sheriff's office believes there may be more victims out there because of Criswell's contact with kids. He helped coach the wrestling teams at two local schools.
Criswell volunteered with the Harbor High School wrestling team during the 2012-13 school year. That same year, he was hired as wrestling coach at Branciforte Middle School. The district says it never received any complaints of inappropriate behavior by Criswell.
Criswell is expected to be arraigned early next week.
santa cruz, santa cruz county, watsonville, sex crimes, child abuse, children, south bay news, ama daetz
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos