South Bay News
Two men hurt in electrical fire in downtown SJ building
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A fire injured two men, one seriously, at a commercial building in downtown San Jose Friday morning, a fire department spokesman said.
Firefighters received a call at about 11 a.m. about a fire at the Pavilion building in the 100 block of South First Street, fire Capt. Cleo Doss said.
After firefighters arrived, two men, one suffering from "very, very serious" burns and another from smoke inhalation, were assisted and transported to a hospital for treatment, Doss said.
The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority briefly suspended its light-rail service from San Fernando Street to San Carlos Street but soon resumed service, Doss said.
The one-alarm fire appeared to have originated in an electrical room in the below-ground garage. Firefighters shut down electricity to get to the room, Doss said.
The man who was burned was a maintenance worker at the building and the other man inhaled smoke while escorting the other man outside, according to Doss.
The fire was described as a "flash" that produced no flames afterwards, Doss said.
He said firefighters were still at the scene as of 12:30 p.m. and were trying to determine when it was safe to turn the electricity back on in the building.
san jose, fire, VTA, south bay news
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight 4 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat 41 min ago
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday