South Bay News
De Anza College rape investigated as possible hate crime
CUPERTIONO, Calif. (KGO) -- A sexual assault at De Anza College in Cupertino is being investigated as a possible hate-crime. A student was attacked in a bathroom on the campus and sources tell ABC7 News that her self-identifying as pan-sexual, someone who is attracted to all genders and sexual orientations, may have been a motivation for the attack.
The rape happened Monday in the early afternoon in the first floor women's restroom in the Media Learning Center. The victim reported the attack to police on Wednesday.
"We believe the suspect is also a De Anza student; he's a male between the ages of 18 and 20," Foothill-De Anza Community College District Police Chief Ron Levine said.
Students couldn't believe a violent assault could happen in the middle of the afternoon on a busy school day.
"You think you're safe at a bathroom everyone uses, where hundreds of students run through there every day," student Santiago Loftus said.
Many students on campus say they are always vigilant. Some were getting free rape whistles at the campus health center. Others carry pepper spray.
"'I've been carrying it for a while because I'm a girl, just as a precaution," student Lucero Segura said.
Police believe it was an isolated incident. They say the attacker knows the victim.
cupertino, crime, hate crime, sex crimes, south bay news, vic lee
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found 53 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible 53 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts 41 min ago
- Footage examined to ID two with stolen...
28 min ago