South Bay News
De Anza College rape investigated as possible hate crime
CUPERTIONO, Calif. (KGO) -- A sexual assault at De Anza College in Cupertino is being investigated as a possible hate-crime. A student was attacked in a bathroom on the campus and sources tell ABC7 News that her self-identifying as pan-sexual, someone who is attracted to all genders and sexual orientations, may have been a motivation for the attack.
The rape happened Monday in the early afternoon in the first floor women's restroom in the Media Learning Center. The victim reported the attack to police on Wednesday.
"We believe the suspect is also a De Anza student; he's a male between the ages of 18 and 20," Foothill-De Anza Community College District Police Chief Ron Levine said.
Students couldn't believe a violent assault could happen in the middle of the afternoon on a busy school day.
"You think you're safe at a bathroom everyone uses, where hundreds of students run through there every day," student Santiago Loftus said.
Many students on campus say they are always vigilant. Some were getting free rape whistles at the campus health center. Others carry pepper spray.
"'I've been carrying it for a while because I'm a girl, just as a precaution," student Lucero Segura said.
Police believe it was an isolated incident. They say the attacker knows the victim.
cupertino, crime, hate crime, sex crimes, south bay news, vic lee
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 42 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week 11 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition 23 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
38 min ago
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
42 min ago