South Bay News
Woman armed with knife shot, killed by Santa Clara Co. deputies
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A police investigation is underway in San Jose after Santa Clara County Sheriff's deputies shot and killed an armed woman who they say confronted them with a knife.
"After one minute I hear boom, boom, boom, then I awake," neighbor Mai Nguyn said.
Nguyn woke to the sound of gunshots after midnight. They were coming from the triplex next door on Cleveland Ave. Before the shots she heard a woman cursing loudly.
"I hear only the woman's voice, like lady, yelling and using bad words," she said. "I have the kids so I don't want to repeat it."
Deputies responded around 12:20 a.m. to a report of suspicious circumstances and a possible burglary at the triplex in the first block of Cleveland Ave.
Pictures provided by the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department shows deputies responding to reports of breaking glass and pounding at the triplex. But moments after getting out of their patrol cars, officials say they were confronted by a woman in the driveway holding a knife.
"Confrontation ensues, deputies order the female to drop weapon, she refused to drop the weapon, at least one deputy fired their weapon, the female was struck," Santa Clara County Sheriff's spokesperson Kurtis Stenderup said.
The woman died at the scene. Stunned neighbors believe she had lived at the triplex for years.
"I just know she was a very nice lady," neighbor Nick Heren said.
He says she'd been upset recently.
"She said somebody was stealing from her," Heren said.
Another neighbor who did not want to go on camera wonders why the confrontation turned deadly.
"If it's the police that did it, then they could have used other force," she said.
Crime scene investigators are combing every inch of the triplex. The investigation continues.
The deputies involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure in an officer-involved death.
Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to call the sheriff's office at (408) 808-4431.
(Bay City News contributed to this report)
violence, shooting, san jose, santa clara county, south bay news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 10 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- One dead after house fire in Oakland 45 min ago
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill 31 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire