South Bay News
Boy and puppy photos napping together go viral
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- A puppy adopted from the Santa Cruz SPCA this month has become an internet sensation due to a series of photos showing his daily nap with his young human companion, officials said.
Theo, a mixed-breed puppy, was adopted by Jessica Shyba and her family earlier this month at 8 weeks old, not long after they moved to Santa Cruz.
Shyba, who writes the blog Momma's Gone City, said that the shy puppy had trouble sleeping alone and quickly made it clear he wanted company at night.
After a few days, he began to join Shyba's youngest son, Beau, in his daily naps, and the two began to form "the most organic and beautiful friendship I have ever witnessed," Shyba wrote on her blog.
Shyba began posting photos of the two young friends on Instagram and then on Thursday posted a number of them to her blog. "Each day, Theo meets us at naptime and waits patiently for Beau to fall asleep," Shyba said. "By that time, he's also sleepy, so when I hoist him on to our bed, he stumbles over to Beau and plops right down on top of him. And there they sleep, entwined, for at least two hours."
The photos have rapidly gone viral and been featured on sites including Huffington Post and Yahoo and on shows such as ABC News and Good Morning, according to SPCA officials.
The photos have also gained their own hashtag, #theoandbeau.
Theo was part of a litter of 11 puppies rescued by the SPCA. The Shyba family is encouraging those who enjoy his photos and story to consider donating to the Santa Cruz SPCA, officials said.
The photos can be seen at mommasgonecity.com/2013/11/wishes-granted-theo-and-beau/.
santa cruz, children, animal, south bay news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 40 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 14 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos