South Bay News
85-year-old Palo Alto man detained in North Korea
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- Neither North Korean or U.S. officials are speaking publicly about an 85-year-old Palo Alto man detained in North Korea.
Merrill Newman was on his way home to the Bay Area when he was removed from the plane and detained.
Few residents at a Palo Alto retirement community are talking about their neighbor, Merrill. North Korean authorities pulled the 85-year-old Korean War veteran off of his homebound plane on Oct. 26. His son, Jeff Newman, told CNN his father spoke to him the night before and said North Korean officials asked him about his military service during the Korean War.
"The Korean War was discussed and my dad's role in the service and the meeting concluded. I understand that my dad was a bit bothered, but really didn't go into any detail with his traveling companion," said Jeff.
Newman's friend, Bob Hamrdla, who also lives at the retirement community, would not go on camera. He was traveling with Newman and said in a written statement, "This has to be a terrible misunderstanding."
Daniel Sneider, a North Korean expert at Stanford's Shorenstein Asia Pacific Research Center, says this is no misunderstanding. He told us, "The North Koreans are very good at escalating tensions and using crisis as a negotiating tool. Is it going to attract ongoing attention? Absolutely, and I think for the American government, which after all has an obligation to protect American citizens, I think it's going to be a very serious issue."
Newman is actually the second American detained under the new leader, Kim Jong-un. Kenneth Bae, a missionary, was grabbed last year, but has received less publicity.
palo alto, north korea, south bay news, alan wang
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game 49 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying 50 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Firework thrown into bleachers during...
49 min ago