South Bay News
San Jose officer who killed stabbing-carjacking suspect ID'd
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The San Jose police officer who shot and killed a stabbing and carjacking suspect in East San Jose on Thursday was identified as Kevin Peters, a 12-year veteran of the department, a police spokeswoman said.
Peters, 37, gunned down the suspect, a 42-year-old man from San Diego, after the suspect allegedly rammed a patrol car at about 10:50 a.m. Thursday, police Sgt. Heather Randol said.
The suspect, whose name is being withheld by police, is alleged to have stabbed three victims in the 2100 block of Luz Avenue at about 10:35 a.m. that day and carjacked a fourth victim in the area of Jackson Avenue and Mabury Road, Randol said.
When officers attempted to stop the car, the suspect kept driving and with police in pursuit, he briefly drove the wrong way on Interstate Highway 680, Randol said.
The car chase ended when the suspect crashed into a patrol car and a parked vehicle in the 700 block of Kirk Glen Drive near Mabury, Randol said.
As officers moved in to arrest the suspect, Peters fired his gun and the suspect suffered at least one bullet wound, Randol said.
The stabbing victims each suffered serious injuries but are all expected to survive, Randol said.
San Jose police homicide detectives are investigating the officer-involved shooting, as is standard procedure, according to Randol.
san jose, shooting, violence, south bay news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway 57 min ago
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing 55 min ago
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media in space
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno...
55 min ago