South Bay News
8 people displaced after San Jose condo fire
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- In San Jose, a huge fire forced people to run for their lives and three families need a new place to live as a result. This happened near Trevino Terrace and a nearby shopping center even lost power for a short time while firefighters were fighting the blaze.
Cellphone video shows flames spewing from the back of a second-story townhome in San Jose. Chad Erickson shot the footage and lives less than half a mile from the Country Club Townhomes Complex, which backs up to a shopping center.
"We smelled smoke so my son and I just ran over to Safeway to see what was going on," said Erickson.
The fire department arrived shortly just minutes after the first call came in, shortly before 6 p.m.
"They found two structures upstairs and downstairs fully involved with flames pulled the attack line, tried to make entry to put the fire out," said San Jose Fire Capt. Cleo Doss.
No residents were hurt, but three units were damaged. A total of eight people are displaced. Investigators are still determining what caused the fire.
"It looked like it possibly may have started upstairs, but as crews arrived here, fully involved upstairs and downstairs. They said it was pretty surreal as they showed up," said Doss.
"It was just hot, the flames, it was really hot. And then all the steam coming off of the fire or from the water from the fire department," said Erickson.
It took firefighters about an hour and 15 minutes to knock down and contain the fire. Then they went to work on the hot spots. One firefighter was taken to the hospital for exhaustion.
san jose, fire, south bay news, ama daetz
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 39 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...