South Bay News
Pedestrian on I-680 on-ramp fatally struck by hit-and-run driver
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A male pedestrian was fatally struck by a hit and run driver traveling on a southbound Interstate Highway 680 on-ramp near U.S. Highway 101 in San Jose late Friday night, according to the California Highway Patrol.
On Friday shortly before midnight, the CHP received an initial report that a person had been struck on northbound Highway 101, near the on-ramp to Interstate Highway 680. The CHP arrived in the vicinity to find that an unknown vehicle had been traveling southbound on the Jackson Avenue on-ramp to southbound I-680 at an unknown speed when a pedestrian was struck, not on Highway 101.
CHP officers said a pedestrian was walking southbound on the right shoulder of the on-ramp from Jackson Avenue to southbound I-680 when a vehicle struck him.
The vehicle fled the scene prior to CHP arrival, officers said.
According to the CHP, the pedestrian laid motionless in the left lane of the on-ramp until a 2005 Ford Crown Victoria came up the ramp and struck him. The driver of the second vehicle immediately called for assistance.
The victim had no pulse when emergency crews arrived and was declared deceased at the scene, according to the CHP.
No suspect or vehicle description for the hit and run driver has been released and the pedestrian has not yet been identified, the CHP said.
hit and run, san jose, south bay news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos