South Bay News
Milpitas police investigating fatal shooting
MILPITAS, Calif. -- Police in Milpitas are investigating the city's first homicide of the year after a man was fatally shot in a hotel parking lot Tuesday night, a police lieutenant said.
Officers responded to multiple reports of a shooting in the parking lot of the Executive Inn Hotel located at 95 Dempsey Road at about 10:30 p.m., Lt. Sandy Holliday said.
Before the shooting a party was taking place on the third floor of the hotel and a loud argument was heard. Police are investigating if there is any connection.
Holliday said the reporting parties told dispatchers they heard four shots.
When officers arrived, they found many "hysterical people" outside and an unresponsive man lying in the parking lot suffering from a gunshot wound, according to Holliday.
Holliday said it is unknown if the victim, described only as a man 20 to 25 years old, was staying at the hotel or visiting.
It is unknown if the shooting is gang-related, she said.
Police are "dealing with limited details" of the suspect vehicle, which fled after the shooting, Holliday said.
The suspect vehicle is only described as a dark sedan, according to Holliday.
The homicide is the city's first of the year. There was one homicide in all of 2013 in Milpitas, on June 7 at a Sports Authority store in the Great Mall.
The accused killer in that homicide, 26-year-old Nathaniel Manlangit, was found to be not guilty by reason of insanity on Jan. 9.
milpitas, crime, south bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire