South Bay News
Conservative Republican calls for minimum wage increase
CAMPBELL, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose and San Francisco already have a minimum wage topping $10 an hour. And the minimum for the rest of California goes up from $8 to $9 in July. But now, there's a campaign underway to raise it even higher to $12
The call for a $12 an hour minimum wage doesn't come from a Democratic lawmaker or even from the labor movement, it comes from a conservative Republican. Ron Unz says he's starting an initiative petition drive to let voters decide. He thinks he can drum up support from Republicans, especially conservative like himself.
"The government spends $250 billion each year on social welfare spending for the working poor, people who have jobs but can't cover their own expenses," Unz said. "That's a hidden subsidy to the low-wage employers who don't want to cover the costs of their own workers."
Unz also thinks he can get support from Democrats and labor, capitalizing on minimum wage campaigns both in California and nationwide, such as the one aimed at Walmart.
The software executive, who ran against Pete Wilson in the GOP primary 19 years ago, expects the cost will be passed along to consumers, but he doesn't think it will be painful.
"They could cover all the costs by raising their prices by 1 percent one time," Unz said. "It would cost the average Walmart shopper $12.50 more per year, and I think most consumers could afford that very easily."
However, some small business owners say $12 an hour would hurt.
"If I have five employees a day, and I'm increasing their pay by $2, I'm open 10 hours a day times seven days a week, it'd be $100 a day or $3,000 a month at least," Frost Cupcake Factory's Andrea Parks said.
It will take 505,000 valid signatures to qualify for the ballot. Unz is convinced voters are sympathetic and won't be swayed by opposition campaigns.
minimum wage, south bay news, david louie
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos