South Bay News
Two people struck by Caltrain Monday night
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Caltrain service is recovering after one person was killed and another was injured when they were hit by a train at the Santa Clara station this evening, a Caltrain spokeswoman said.
Caltrain averages about one fatality a month, but they say the circumstances of this incident are unusual, because it involved two people.
The northbound train hit the two pedestrians at about 5:45 p.m., Caltrain spokeswoman Christine Dunn said.
One of the pedestrians was killed while the other was taken to a hospital with injuries that Dunn did not reveal the extent of.
The tracks didn't reopen until shortly before 8 p.m., necessitating a bus bridge between the Sunnyvale, Lawrence and Santa Clara stations and causing delays of up to an hour.
There were 70 people on board the train at the time of the accident, Dunn said. Ridership was light because of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
This is the first Caltrain fatality of 2014. Last year, there were 13 fatalities on Caltrain tracks, Dunn said.
The station reopened a few hours later, but while the scene is now clear, the investigation into what happened, is just beginning.
ABC7 News reporter Lilian Kim contributed to this report.
caltrain, santa clara, pedestrian struck, south bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen 57 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters 17 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 33 min ago
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
33 min ago
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck...
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos