South Bay News
San Jose counselor arrested for selling pot to kids
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- An afterschool counselor is under arrest in the South Bay, accused of selling pot to students. Police took 20-year-old Edward Diaz into custody shortly after school got out at 2 p.m. at Willow Glen Middle School.
"Nothing seems to surprise you nowadays," said Gail Ing of San Jose.
However, the arrest of 20-year-old Edward Diaz by San Jose police at Willow Glen Middle School is sure to make some uncomfortable.
Just after 4 p.m. Tuesday, officers responded to a report that a counselor with the Think Together afterschool program sold pot to a couple of the students. Investigators with the San Jose Police Department interviewed Diaz and arrested him almost immediately.
The Think Together program is a California based non-profit designed to help close the achievement gap. According to their website, relationships between students and counselors is key to academic success.
"I think that it's kind of a sad commentary on society to have something like that happen at a school," said Ing.
Diaz sits in the Santa Clara County jail on $55,000 bail and will make his first court appearance Thursday morning, around the same time students at Willow Glen Middle School return to class.
san jose, marijuana, children, south bay news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 7 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service 56 min ago
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
7 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter...
56 min ago