South Bay News
Resident arrested for arson in Santa Clara house fire
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Santa Clara police have arrested a 41-year-old woman on suspicion of setting a three-alarm fire early Friday morning that destroyed a home she shared with two other people, a police sergeant said.
Villa Jean Traspe Cabanayan was arrested after a preliminary investigation into the fire, police Sgt. Derek Rush said.
Police and the Santa Clara Fire Department responded at 1:20 a.m. Friday to a call about a fire at a two-story house at 5049 Avenida De Lago that Cabanayan shared with two others, Rush said.
The suspect and the other two residents were home when the fire started. The other two escaped to safety while Cabanayan was hospitalized with injuries that are not considered life-threatening, Rush said.
The fire went to three alarms and destroyed the house, he said.
Police and fire arson investigators began questioning the residents and neighbors on the suburban street and then arrested Cabanayan based on the interviews and evidence gathered at the home, Rush said.
Rush declined to describe the evidence found at the home and said the specific details about how the blaze started are still being examined.
Police have clarified that there were three people in the home during the fire and they are not related to each other. Fire officials initially reported that the home contained a family of four.
Anyone with information about the fire is urged to contact police Detective Sgt. Steve Hoesing at (408) 615-4814 or Santa Clara police at (408) 615-4700.
fire, santa clara, south bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case