South Bay News
Man claims self-defense in fatal San Jose shooting
SAN JOSE (KGO) -- San Jose police are investigating a fatal shooting as the city's eighth homicide, but the man behind the shooting claims it was self-defense. There are a lot of unanswered questions for those involved.
"It was just gunshots that I heard, not that many, and then just next thing I know the cops came and they closed out the street, they had everyone on lockdown," neighbor Fabiola Miranda said.
Miranda was having dinner when gunfire erupted on Pine Ridge Way around 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Another neighbor, Paul Sousa, arrived home a few hours later.
"They searched my yard, they searched my house, they searched the back," Sousa said. "They were looking for weapons."
A man who lives at this house told police that someone had shot at his house and was trying to break in. He says he got his own gun, fired back in the direction of the shots, and called 911.
When police arrived the intruder was gone, apparently having sped off in a car with at least one other person.
A short time later, a man was dropped off at a hospital with at least one gunshot wound and he died.
"After further investigation, they determined that the subject at hospital was related to incident that occurred here on Pine Ridge Way," Officer Albert Morales said.
Police say there is evidence someone fired on the house, but they only have the resident's version of events.
They need more witnesses to come forward, and they're possibly looking for others who were involved in the crime.
"Right now, we're looking for anybody, really," Officer Morales said. "We don't know whether there were two people, three people. Again, a vehicle was seen leaving the scene at a high rate of speed, so again one can assume maybe were more people in that vehicle."
Longtime residents are not surprised by the violence.
"I'm sure it happened for a reason," Sousa said. "I'm sure it didn't just happen out of nowhere."
The man who lives at the home was not hurt in the shooting.
The person who was killed is only described as a Hispanic male in his early 20s.
Police say that at this exact moment nobody is in custody, but that can change.
san jose, SJPD, shooting, south bay news, katie marzullo
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 52 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 25 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens 25 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 24 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at... 32 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
52 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
41 min ago
- 'Science cheerleaders' send experiment into...
46 min ago