South Bay News
Man with knife fatally shot by San Jose State police identified
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A man shot to death Friday by a San Jose State University police officer after advancing at another officer with a saw blade has been identified as 38-year-old Antonio Lopez Guzman, according to the Santa Clara County medical examiner's office.
Lopez Guzman, who had no known residence, died at a hospital after being shot by SJSU police Sgt. Mike Santos near the intersection of Eighth and San Salvador streets just off of the college campus, according to San Jose police.
The San Jose Police Department's homicide unit is handling the investigation into Lopez Guzman's death because it occurred outside of the state-owned SJSU campus in San Jose's jurisdiction, police said.
SJSU police were called at about 10:55 a.m. Friday about a man waving a knife around and acting strange on the campus, police said.
Santos and a second officer drove to the scene and noticed the suspect, later identified as Lopez Guzman, holding a knife on Eighth Street south of San Salvador and asked him to drop it, according to police.
Lopez Guzman refused and the other officer then used his Taser stun gun on the suspect but it had no effect on him, police said.
Lopez Guzman, still armed with the knife, advanced on the other officer and Santos shot the suspect at least once, police said.
He was later pronounced dead at a hospital, police said.
Police determined that Lopez Guzman was carrying a foot-long saw blade that is similar to a jagged-edge tool used for cutting drywall.
SJSU, crime, shooting, SJPD, taser, south bay news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Market streets in SF 53 min ago
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches 33 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos