Ventura County News
Oxnard mayor accused of classroom battery
OXNARD, Calif. -- The mayor of Oxnard is under investigation after an incident involving a high school student. Tim Flynn, who is also a teacher, is accused of battering the girl at Pacifica High School. He has since returned, but questions loom.
"There was an allegation of a misdemeanor battery that occurred at a school in Oxnard involving the mayor of Oxnard, who is also a teacher, and this allegedly occurred in the classroom," said Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Eric Buschow.
The complaint was filed by the student's parent with the Oxnard Police Department. But since the Mayor is involved, investigators there turned the case over to the Sheriff's Department to avoid any conflicts of interest.
School district officials say the complaint was lodged last Wednesday, sparking a school district investigation. Flynn missed three days of teaching, but was allowed to return to the classroom on Monday.
"We feel we have already conducted our investigation and we have taken the action we deemed necessary," said Oxnard Union High School District Assistant Superintendent William Dabbs.
What that action was, Dabbs wouldn't say, citing personnel privacy rules. Nor would he say Flynn was cleared of the battery allegations.
Eyewitness News was unable to reach Flynn for comment Tuesday. Neither school officials nor the sheriff's department released the name of the student who filed the charges. But the district says even though Flynn has returned to work, the case is not completely resolved.
"Anytime that there's an investigation going on, then we would certainly have to take into consideration whatever they come up with in terms of their investigation," said Dabbs.
school, ventura county news, rob hayes
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake 1 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 23 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 25 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 37 min ago
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested 16 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security 5 min ago
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos