Ventura County News
Oxnard mayor accused of classroom battery
OXNARD, Calif. -- The mayor of Oxnard is under investigation after an incident involving a high school student. Tim Flynn, who is also a teacher, is accused of battering the girl at Pacifica High School. He has since returned, but questions loom.
"There was an allegation of a misdemeanor battery that occurred at a school in Oxnard involving the mayor of Oxnard, who is also a teacher, and this allegedly occurred in the classroom," said Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Eric Buschow.
The complaint was filed by the student's parent with the Oxnard Police Department. But since the Mayor is involved, investigators there turned the case over to the Sheriff's Department to avoid any conflicts of interest.
School district officials say the complaint was lodged last Wednesday, sparking a school district investigation. Flynn missed three days of teaching, but was allowed to return to the classroom on Monday.
"We feel we have already conducted our investigation and we have taken the action we deemed necessary," said Oxnard Union High School District Assistant Superintendent William Dabbs.
What that action was, Dabbs wouldn't say, citing personnel privacy rules. Nor would he say Flynn was cleared of the battery allegations.
Eyewitness News was unable to reach Flynn for comment Tuesday. Neither school officials nor the sheriff's department released the name of the student who filed the charges. But the district says even though Flynn has returned to work, the case is not completely resolved.
"Anytime that there's an investigation going on, then we would certainly have to take into consideration whatever they come up with in terms of their investigation," said Dabbs.
school, ventura county news, rob hayes
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos