Families of detained hikers hire Iranian lawyer
TEHRAN, Iran (KGO) -- The families of three UC Berkeley graduates detained in Iran have hired a prominent independent Iranian lawyer.
Sarah Shourd, Shane Bauer, and Josh Fattal were detained on July 31st while hiking along Iran's border with Iraqi Kurdistan.
Their families said Sunday that Masoud Shafii will represent all three and work for their release on humanitarian grounds. The move follows reports from Tehran that the detainees will soon stand trial for entering the country illegally, although specific charges have not been announced.
iran, detained hikers, national/world
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 2 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Report indicates Mission Bay fire was accidental
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications 6 min ago
- Reports: Ferry with 471 people sinking off SKorea
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos