Families of detained hikers hire Iranian lawyer
TEHRAN, Iran (KGO) -- The families of three UC Berkeley graduates detained in Iran have hired a prominent independent Iranian lawyer.
Sarah Shourd, Shane Bauer, and Josh Fattal were detained on July 31st while hiking along Iran's border with Iraqi Kurdistan.
Their families said Sunday that Masoud Shafii will represent all three and work for their release on humanitarian grounds. The move follows reports from Tehran that the detainees will soon stand trial for entering the country illegally, although specific charges have not been announced.
iran, detained hikers, national/world
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed 31 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Bay Point man arrested in connection with '95 murder 19 min ago
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- Target shopper files suit over security breach
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos