Call from CPS alerts woman to ID theft
One form of ID theft you do not hear a lot about is medical identity theft.
Someone stole Anndorie Sachs identity in 2006 and she did not know it until she got a call from Child Protective Services.
"They stated I was under investigation because the baby I just had tested positive for methamphetamine," she said.
That came as a shock to the mother of four healthy children. It turns out someone had stolen Andorie's driver's license and taken her identity, delivering the baby under Anndorie's name.
The Federal Trade Commission says more than 300,000 Americans were victims of medical identity theft last year.
identity theft, national/world
- Amber Alert issued for child from Long Beach 11 min ago
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd