Detained hikers in Iran engaged; 3rd hiker best man
IRAN (KGO) -- Two of the three UC Berkeley grads being held in Iran have gotten engaged in prison.
The mothers of the three Americans were in Tehran last week see their children. During their visit, they learned that Shane Bauer proposed to Sarah Shourd. He used threads from his shirt to make a ring, and proposed in the prison's exercise area.
The two plan to get married as soon as they're back in the U.S. Fellow prisoner Josh Fattal will be their best man.
The three hikers were taken into custody last July along the border between Iraq and Iran.
Over the weekend, Iran said it would be open to a prisoner swap.
iran, uc berkeley, detained hikers, national/world
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33 29 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101 10 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M 26 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law 14 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
29 min ago