Detained hikers in Iran engaged; 3rd hiker best man
IRAN (KGO) -- Two of the three UC Berkeley grads being held in Iran have gotten engaged in prison.
The mothers of the three Americans were in Tehran last week see their children. During their visit, they learned that Shane Bauer proposed to Sarah Shourd. He used threads from his shirt to make a ring, and proposed in the prison's exercise area.
The two plan to get married as soon as they're back in the U.S. Fellow prisoner Josh Fattal will be their best man.
The three hikers were taken into custody last July along the border between Iraq and Iran.
Over the weekend, Iran said it would be open to a prisoner swap.
iran, uc berkeley, detained hikers, national/world
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Journals show students' despair, hope 6 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
55 min ago
- Journals show students' despair, hope
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos