Detained hikers in Iran engaged; 3rd hiker best man
IRAN (KGO) -- Two of the three UC Berkeley grads being held in Iran have gotten engaged in prison.
The mothers of the three Americans were in Tehran last week see their children. During their visit, they learned that Shane Bauer proposed to Sarah Shourd. He used threads from his shirt to make a ring, and proposed in the prison's exercise area.
The two plan to get married as soon as they're back in the U.S. Fellow prisoner Josh Fattal will be their best man.
The three hikers were taken into custody last July along the border between Iraq and Iran.
Over the weekend, Iran said it would be open to a prisoner swap.
iran, uc berkeley, detained hikers, national/world
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr 18 min ago
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield 27 min ago
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Brush fire at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland
- 1 dead, 2 injured from East Palo Alto shooting
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos