Detained hikers in Iran engaged; 3rd hiker best man
IRAN (KGO) -- Two of the three UC Berkeley grads being held in Iran have gotten engaged in prison.
The mothers of the three Americans were in Tehran last week see their children. During their visit, they learned that Shane Bauer proposed to Sarah Shourd. He used threads from his shirt to make a ring, and proposed in the prison's exercise area.
The two plan to get married as soon as they're back in the U.S. Fellow prisoner Josh Fattal will be their best man.
The three hikers were taken into custody last July along the border between Iraq and Iran.
Over the weekend, Iran said it would be open to a prisoner swap.
iran, uc berkeley, detained hikers, national/world
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stocks close mostly higher on earnings; Apple up
- California bill attacks growing corporate wage gap
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- Historic Cal theater to reopen as live music venue
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
55 min ago