Perry concerned Iran sanctions will prompt Israeli strike
SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- Iran's ongoing nuclear program compelled the United Nations Security Council to take action on Wednesday. The Imposing sanctions will try to dissuade Iran from continuing to develop nuclear technology. It is a program that is making a lot of nations very nervous.
Perry is concerned Iran is not going to be swayed to drop its nuclear program.
The U.N. Security Council voted 12 to 3 on Wednesday to impose new sanctions on Iran. They will limit Iran's ability to obtain nuclear fuel processing. They also will step up inspections of ships suspected of transporting materials Iran could use to make nuclear bombs.
"Actions do have consequences, and today the Iranian government will face some of those consequences," President Barack Obama said.
Perry told members of the Commonwealth Club and San Jose rotary the U.N. sanctions were watered down. He believes Israel might attack Iran to destroy suspected nuclear facilities.
"If the international community led by the United States is not successful in stopping the Iranian nuclear bomb, they will take that action," he said.
Brazil and Turkey voted against the U.N. sanctions.
Perry said it appears they believe Iran is trying to create nuclear power, not weapons.
Iran's president, Mahmud Ahmadinejad, compared the Security Council resolution to a used handkerchief which should go into a garbage can.
Perry thinks Iran could end up supplying nuclear bombs to terrorists.
"They supply other weapons to Hezbollah, so the danger is they might extend that to the nuclear field as well," he said.
Perry warns that even a crude nuclear bomb detonated in a parked truck could kill 100,000 people.
"A terror group, if they had enough plutonium or enough enriched uranium could improve a nuclear device, which would be crude in its physical makeup, would still have an explosive power of 15,000 tons of high explosive," he said.
Perry is concerned that an already unstable Middle East will become more so if Israel decides to intervene.
nuclear weapons, iran, israel, united nations, national/world, david louie
- NYC building explodes, 11 minor injuries reported 33 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos