Dead Americans received millions in stimulus money
Eighteen million dollars in stimulus checks went out to 72,000 dead Americans.
That is according to information released Thursday by the Social Security Administration's Office of the Inspector General, which also found that only a little more than half of those payments were returned.
The $250 checks were sent to Social Security recipients and federal retirees as part of the government's economic recovery package.
In addition to the payments for the deceased, more than $4 million went to some 17,000 prison inmates.
stimulus funds, national/world
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos