Dead Americans received millions in stimulus money
Eighteen million dollars in stimulus checks went out to 72,000 dead Americans.
That is according to information released Thursday by the Social Security Administration's Office of the Inspector General, which also found that only a little more than half of those payments were returned.
The $250 checks were sent to Social Security recipients and federal retirees as part of the government's economic recovery package.
In addition to the payments for the deceased, more than $4 million went to some 17,000 prison inmates.
stimulus funds, national/world
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap 40 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
12 min ago