Dead Americans received millions in stimulus money
Eighteen million dollars in stimulus checks went out to 72,000 dead Americans.
That is according to information released Thursday by the Social Security Administration's Office of the Inspector General, which also found that only a little more than half of those payments were returned.
The $250 checks were sent to Social Security recipients and federal retirees as part of the government's economic recovery package.
In addition to the payments for the deceased, more than $4 million went to some 17,000 prison inmates.
stimulus funds, national/world
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 20 min ago
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam 24 min ago
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor 59 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
51 min ago