Man accused of girl abduction appears in court
SALEM, Va. -- A February preliminary hearing is set for a man accused of abducting his girlfriend's 12-year-old daughter and taking her to California.
Media outlets report that 32-year-old Jeffrey Easley appeared in Roanoke County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court in Salem on Friday for arraignment on an abduction charge.
Easley is charged with abducting 12-year-old Brittany Smith. The girl was with Easley when police arrested him last Friday outside a San Francisco supermarket.
The girl went missing after authorities found the body of her mother, Tina Smith, on Nov. 29. The death is considered a homicide but no charges have been filed. Easley had been the woman's live-in boyfriend.
child abduction, national/world
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos