Hospital: Giffords will be moved to rehab facility
HOUSTON -- Rep. Gabrielle Giffords will be moved to a rehabilitation facility Wednesday morning after doctors upgraded her condition from serious to good, according to the hospital overseeing the Arizona congresswoman's recovery.
Her doctors at Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center Hospital determined that she is ready to move to TIRR Memorial Hermann, another facility where her rehabilitation will begin. That transfer was scheduled for sometime Wednesday morning, pending a review of her condition, according to a statement posted Tuesday night on the hospital's website.
Giffords had been kept in intensive care since her arrival Friday at the Houston hospital from Tucson, where she had been hospitalized since the Jan. 8 shooting. Doctors in Texas said she had been given a tube to drain excess cerebrospinal fluid.
Everyone makes such fluid, but an injury can cause the fluid to not be cleared away as rapidly as normal. A backup can cause pressure and swelling within the brain.
Giffords was critically wounded in the rampage that killed six people and injured 12 others. The three-term Democratic congresswoman was shot in the forehead while meeting with constituents outside a Tucson supermarket.
The assassination attempt cast a somber mood over President Barack Obama's State of the Union speech on Tuesday night, where many lawmakers in both parties wore black-and-white lapel ribbons to signify the deaths and the hopes of the survivors. Giffords' husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, watched the speech from her bedside in Texas, as he held her hand.
The 22-year-old suspect in the shootings, Jared Loughner, pleaded not guilty Monday to federal charges of trying to assassinate the congresswoman and two of her aides. He also faces federal murder charges in the deaths of a federal judge and a Giffords aide, and more charges were expected.
tucson shooting, national/world
- Target apologizes after massive data breach 36 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes 11 min ago
- Oakland family requests feeding tube for girl 10 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus 34 min ago
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise 54 min ago
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla 39 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- BART Board president wants to ban transit...
11 min ago
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic...
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos