BP sues rig owner for $40B; blames it for disaster
NEW ORLEANS -- BP is suing Transocean for at least $40 billion in damages, accusing the rig owner of causing last year's deadly blowout in the Gulf of Mexico that led to the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history.
The British oil giant also is suing the maker of the device that failed to stop the calamitous oil spill.
The developments came in separate court filings in federal court in New Orleans on Wednesday, the one-year anniversary of the disaster.
BP says every single safety system and device and well control procedure on the Deepwater Horizon rig failed. It also says Cameron International provided a blowout preventer with a faulty design.
Eleven people were killed when the rig exploded on April 20, 2010, leading to more than 200 million gallons of oil spewing from an undersea well.
gulf of mexico, oil spill, lawsuit, national/world
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 11 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 46 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos