Pot shops to be off-limits to visitors in Amsterdam
AMSTERDAM (KGO) -- The Netherlands is now considering a crackdown on so called drug tourism.
The European nation's famous marijuana shops will soon be off limits to foreign visitors. Hundreds of those shops in Amsterdam alone will become private clubs, open only to adult Dutch citizens with the proper identification.
Opponents call the nationwide ban "tourism suicide" for a country known for its liberal policy on pot that's attracted college students and young travelers for decades.
pot club, marijuana, national/world
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos