Pot shops to be off-limits to visitors in Amsterdam
AMSTERDAM (KGO) -- The Netherlands is now considering a crackdown on so called drug tourism.
The European nation's famous marijuana shops will soon be off limits to foreign visitors. Hundreds of those shops in Amsterdam alone will become private clubs, open only to adult Dutch citizens with the proper identification.
Opponents call the nationwide ban "tourism suicide" for a country known for its liberal policy on pot that's attracted college students and young travelers for decades.
pot club, marijuana, national/world
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos