Soldier surprises daughter with homecoming
HOOVER, Ala. (KGO) -- A soldier gave his daughter the best surprise of all on Veterans Day: Himself.
Staff Sgt. Mark Mehringer surprised his daughter at her Hoover, Alabama school on Friday after serving nearly a year in Afghanistan.
Madison Mehringer hadn't seen her father since last December.
"I watch these TV shows sometimes, and when little kids see their dads, sometimes I wish it was me," Mehringer said. "And now it is."
Her father says knowing there is love and support back home makes a huge difference for troops deployed overseas.
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries 9 min ago
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death 24 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos