Father sought for murder in toddler's drowning
WALL TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- The fugitive father of a 2-year-old girl found dead in a car seat in a creek was charged with murder Wednesday after an autopsy showed she had drowned.
Arthur Morgan III remained at large despite a dragnet involving 13 law enforcement agencies including the FBI. Authorities believe the 27-year-old Morgan, of Ocean Township, may have left the state.
The victim, Tierra Morgan, lived in Lakehurst with her mother and was having a court-approved visit with her father on Monday, but he never took her back. The girl's body was discovered Tuesday in Wall Township, about 20 miles north of where she lived.
The toddler was discovered by children playing in Shark River Park, said Christopher Gramiccioni, a spokesman for the Monmouth County prosecutor's office. The children notified park rangers, who called police.
A 911 call was received by police at 2:28 p.m., saying that "student-aged children came across what they were concerned was a child in the creek," Gramiccioni said.
Police found the girl's body, still strapped in the car seat, partly submerged in the creek, a tributary of the nearby Shark River. The creek is 3 to 7 feet deep in the area where the body was found, near a roadway overpass about 15 feet above the creek.
A warrant from Ocean County charging Morgan with child endangerment and interference with custody had been issued before the girl's body was found.
Transit police agencies, including NJ Transit, Amtrak and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, were assisting the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service in a search that included train and bus stations, airports, highway bridges and tunnels.
child death, children, crime, murder, national/world
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Brush fire at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland
- 1 dead, 2 injured from East Palo Alto shooting
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party 12 min ago
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos