Castle damaged by fire; smoking boys blamed
SLOVAKIA (KGO) -- The roof of a 14th-century Slovak castle was destroyed by fire and authorities say a grass fire started by two smoking boys is to blame.
Three bells in the bell tower melted and a new goth exhibit were also damaged, but firefighters managed to save 90 percent of the museum's collection.
Police say two local boys, aged 11 and 12, were trying to light a cigarette, but set the grass on the castle hill on fire instead.
fire, smoking, national/world
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 29 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday