IRS: Tax returns to average around $3,000
WASHINGTON (KGO) -- The Internal Revenue Service says your refund check should average around $3,000 this year, down just a smidge from 2011.
Last year, refund checks averaged just a bit over $3,000. This year, refund checks are averaging $76 less.
Almost 26 million people have prepared their own electronic returns this year, up 11 percent over last year. To date this year, the IRS has handed out refund checks worth $174 billion.
IRS, taxes, national/world
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO
- Crews control two-alarm grass fire in San Jose
- Overhead wire problems disrupt service on Muni 59 min ago
- UK officials: Radical Islam drives London attack 38 min ago
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 49ers Michael Crabtree tears right Achilles tendon
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong
- Arias jury deadlocked but must keep deliberating
- Snacking deputy's crash costs Santa Clara Co. $5M
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Harvey Milk events; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos