IRS: Tax returns to average around $3,000
WASHINGTON (KGO) -- The Internal Revenue Service says your refund check should average around $3,000 this year, down just a smidge from 2011.
Last year, refund checks averaged just a bit over $3,000. This year, refund checks are averaging $76 less.
Almost 26 million people have prepared their own electronic returns this year, up 11 percent over last year. To date this year, the IRS has handed out refund checks worth $174 billion.
IRS, taxes, national/world
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 15 min ago
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday