Man catches fire after applying sunscreen
A warning about sunscreen as the summer season approaches.
A man from Massachusetts suffered second-degree burns after his Banana Boat spray-on sunscreen caught fire on his skin as he approached a grill.
Graphic photos show Brett Sigworth's skin severely burned by the flames from the grill. Only the areas with sunscreen were burned.
"I went into complete panic mode and screamed," said Sigworth. "I've never experienced pain like that in my life."
"As he approached the flame, the charcoal simply caught the vapor trail and it follows the vapor trail to his body," explained Dan Dillard with the Burn Prevention Network.
The Banana Boat sport aerosol indicates it is flammable and should not be used near heat. Safety experts say to wait several minutes after applying the aerosol before going near a fire.
The company issued a statement saying, " We are unaware of any prior incidents similar to what Brett has described, but because nothing is more important tous than the safety of our consumers, we are taking this matter very seriously."
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco 52 min ago
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Fremont roadway closed after car strikes utility pole 54 min ago
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado
- Nicasio lifts Rockies to 5-0 win over Giants 33 min ago
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Warriors PG Stephen Curry set to receive key to city
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos