Solar flare looks like intergalactic fireworks
Here are some intergalactic fireworks for your Fourth of July enjoyment.
Take a look at this these amazing images from the sun's surface.
They show a solar flare so powerful it disrupted radio communications over Europe.
It also sent electrically-charged particles shooting into space that just might spark some auroras in the earth's magnetic field.
solar energy, space, national/world
- South African leader Nelson Mandela has died 37 min ago
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Frigid temperatures grip Bay Area, break records
- I-5 in Stockton reopens after officer-involved shooting
- Cal signs $18M deal for naming rights at stadium 59 min ago
- Batkid returning to SF for fundraising walk
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Wendy's worker arrested after hiding pot in burger
- FBI seeks 'Sports Cap Bandit' bank robbery suspect
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: Batkid back in SF; Fremont burglar
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday