Haboob signals start of monsoon season in Arizona
PHOENIX, Ariz. (KGO) -- Monsoon season is underway in Arizona and that led to a common problem in Phoenix.
A dust storm blew through the city Monday. It's called a "haboob." The rare storms only occur in Arizona, Africa's Sahara Desert, and parts of the Middle East. That's because these locations all have dry conditions and lots of sand.
Monsoon season in Arizona continues through September.
storm, wind, national/world
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on life support
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Female victim shot near Lake Merritt Friday morning
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- Target shopper files suit over security breach
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints 56 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Stores stay open around the clock before...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos