Man wins $7.2 million in suit over 'popcorn lung'
DENVER (KGO) -- A Denver man says he's giving the money to charity after winning $7.2 million in a lawsuit over "popcorn lung."
Wayne Watson sued various food companies after being diagnosed with "popcorn lung" in 2007. He says he developed the respiratory condition from years of eating microwave popcorn. Watson argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.
"They thought that no consumer would ever be exposed to enough of it to make a difference. Well, they rolled the dice and they lost," he said.
Defense attorneys had argued Watson's health problems stemmed from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.
Kroger Co., which was also found liable in the suit for selling the popcorn at its grocery stores, plans to appeal the decision.
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos