Lovesick dog reunited with owner after finding him at the hospital
NEW YORK -- If you've ever doubted the special connection between man and dog -- this next story may change your mind.
A dog escaped from his home and turned up two miles away. He was found right outside the hospital where his owner was recovering.
It's a story of deep friendship between man and dog. Zander, a 7-year-old husky, was so heartbroken over his owner being hospitalized that he slipped out the back door of his Long Island, New York home and ran more than two miles to find him at the hospital.
"I don't know how he got there," John Dolan said.
Dolan was laying in his hospital bed when he received a call from a hospital employee with an urgent message.
"I got to get to work. I got your dog. You got to come and get him," Dolan said.
How could a dog possibly have known his owner was in a hospital 2 miles away?
Animal experts say it's a mystery how some dogs can do this. "This dog can get out of that yard and start wandering around and wind up in front of that hospital, It's like one in a million," dog trainer Bill Stavers said.
No one knows how he made it there because he had never been to the hospital before.
Zander would have had to pass by a stream, cross a busy highway, and navigate through neighborhood streets to get there.
Zander was a starving shelter dog rescued by Dolans five years ago. Dolan and Zander took daily walks around the neighborhood, so when Dolan was hospitalized Zander was distraught.
"Of course we're buddies, he came to see me," Dolan said.
Dolan says the 70-pound husky is like a son to him and Zander's devotion truly shows why dogs are man's best friend.
animal, new york, national/world
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars 58 min ago
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord 34 min ago
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body