2-year-old boy killed at Pa. zoo exhibit
PITTSBURGH -- Police say a 2-year-old boy visiting the Pittsburgh zoo was killed when he fell off a railing that his mother had put him on top of it to view a pack of African painted dogs.
The child fell into the exhibit and the African wild dogs pounced on him and mauled him, but police don't know whether the boy died from the 11-foot fall Sunday or from the attack.
Lt. Kevin Kraus of the Pittsburgh police described the accident as "horrific."
Authorities haven't released the names of the boy or his mother. She is 34-years old and lives just outside Pittsburgh. Police said the boy's father arrived soon after the accident.
African wild dogs are considered endangered.
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- Cal students led move toward divestment 44 min ago
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday