2-year-old boy killed at Pa. zoo exhibit
PITTSBURGH -- Police say a 2-year-old boy visiting the Pittsburgh zoo was killed when he fell off a railing that his mother had put him on top of it to view a pack of African painted dogs.
The child fell into the exhibit and the African wild dogs pounced on him and mauled him, but police don't know whether the boy died from the 11-foot fall Sunday or from the attack.
Lt. Kevin Kraus of the Pittsburgh police described the accident as "horrific."
Authorities haven't released the names of the boy or his mother. She is 34-years old and lives just outside Pittsburgh. Police said the boy's father arrived soon after the accident.
African wild dogs are considered endangered.
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill 45 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Jayden Amys wins San Jose Future Chefs Challenge 1 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery...
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos