Record Powerball jackpot boosted to $500M
DES MOINES, Iowa -- Powerball officials say they've boosted the jackpot for Wednesday's drawing to $500 million from the previously posted $425 million. Huge ticket sales nationally are pushing the payout higher.
A single winner choosing the cash payout will take home $327 million before taxes.
Record jackpots encourage players who usually sit on the sidelines to play and group purchases from work pools increase.
The jackpot is the largest ever for the Powerball game and the second largest lottery jackpot of all time, eclipsed only by the $656 million Mega Millions record set in March.
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span 5 min ago
- 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California 3 min ago
- Czech police: Palo Alto man suspected in 4 murders 33 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday