New gas fireplaces to come with safety screens
The fireplace industry will announce today that safety screens will now come as standard equipment with new gas fireplaces.
The wire mesh screens will be in addition to the glass fronts on fireplaces. The gas can reach temperatures hot enough to melt skin. The screens will provide an additional barrier between people--especially small children--and the heat in the fireplace.
Today's announcement comes after many cases where children were severely burned after touching hot glass.
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin 15 min ago
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 8 min ago
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos