6 arrested in new rape of a bus passenger in India
FREMONT, Calif. -- Police say six men have been arrested in another gang rape of a bus passenger in India, four weeks after a deadly attack on a student on a moving bus in the capital outraged Indians and led to calls for tougher rape laws.
Police say a 29-year-old woman was traveling on a bus to her village in northern Punjab state on Friday and was the only passenger. The driver and conductor allegedly drove her to a desolate location and took her to a nearby building where they were joined by five friends and raped her repeatedly.
Police say they arrested six suspects on Saturday and are searching for another.
The brutal rape of a student on a New Delhi bus in December set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such tragedies.
sex crimes, crime, protest, national/world
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case