Man finds gold nugget worth $300,000
AUSTRALIA (KGO) -- An amateur prospector in Australia hit the jackpot.
While searching for gold on Wednesday, he found a giant nugget weighing nearly 12 pounds.
He made the discovery using a hand-held metal detector in an area about an hour from Melbourne.
The nugget is worth as much as $300,000.
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation 8 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle 43 min ago
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015 29 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial 53 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos