Drowning victim's body found in Kauai
LIHUE, Hawaii -- Rescuers in Kauai say they have recovered the body of one of two San Francisco men who drowned, but rough seas kept them from searching for the other man.
The Kauai Fire Department said rescuers spotted the body of 46-year-old Adam Griffiths off the island's north shore on Saturday.
Officials said Griffiths and 47-year-old Brian Baker were exploring a rocky coastal area Friday when a wave slammed into Baker and pulled him into the water. Griffiths jumped in to try to save Baker but both drowned in the rough surf.
They said the search for Baker from a helicopter and Jet Ski was called off because of choppy water conditions.
High surf and strong currents prompted the closure of all beaches on the north shore Friday morning.
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado 16 min ago
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- NFL owners to announce Super Bowl 50 host city 1 min ago
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
6 min ago