Toddler recovering after pencil through brain
19-month-old Olivia Smith of New Boston, New Hampshire, was coloring with her mom when she fell onto a pencil. The pencil entered through Olivia's eye socket, and traveled five and one-half through her brain, coming to rest near her left ear.
"I've been in business 33 years, haven't seen anything like this," New Boston Fire Chief Dan MacDonald said.
The full length pencil did not puncture anything vital, just missing Olivia's optic nerve and major arteries. Neurosurgeons at Children's Hospital in Boston were able to remove it.
Olivia did suffer three strokes during the ordeal, leaving her right side temporarily paralyzed, but two weeks later, she's now home, much sooner than expected, and doing remarkably well.
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school 21 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate 53 min ago
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained 15 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos