Waiter who stood up to bully celebrated as hero
HOUSTON (KGO) -- A waiter who stood up for a boy with Down syndrome was honored with a celebration in Houston, Texas on Thursday.
The boy named Milo, and his classmates at their special needs school, performed a song to honor the waiter, Michael Garcia.
Garcia had refused to serve a man who made disparaging remarks about allowing Milo in the restaurant.
"This is so overwhelming. I don't even feel like I deserve this," Garcia said.
Garcia had a surprise of his own. He brought Milo and his classmates a check for more than $1,100.
The money was given to him by strangers who were touched by his decision to do the right thing.
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident 58 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir 13 min ago
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans 50 min ago
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates...
13 min ago