Teen who flipped off judge apologizes, now out of jail
MIAMI (KGO) -- A Florida teenager is out of jail after she made a tearful apology to the judge she insulted.
The antics of 18-year-old Penelope Soto on Monday went viral online. It also resulted in the judge doubling her $5,000 bail on a drug possession charge and giving her 30 days in jail for contempt.
On Friday the woman was back in a Miami-Dade court, and much more humble in front of the same judge.
"My behavior was very irrational," Soto said. "And I apologize not only to the court and you, but also to my family."
The teen admitted she was under the influence of Xanx and alcohol when she made the obscene middle finger gesture and rude comments.
After her tearful apology, the judge dropped the contempt charge and released her from jail.
Soto's lawyer said she will complete a court ordered drug treatment program to address her charges of possessing Xanax.
children, drugs, alcohol, national/world
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday