Teen who flipped off judge apologizes, now out of jail
MIAMI (KGO) -- A Florida teenager is out of jail after she made a tearful apology to the judge she insulted.
The antics of 18-year-old Penelope Soto on Monday went viral online. It also resulted in the judge doubling her $5,000 bail on a drug possession charge and giving her 30 days in jail for contempt.
On Friday the woman was back in a Miami-Dade court, and much more humble in front of the same judge.
"My behavior was very irrational," Soto said. "And I apologize not only to the court and you, but also to my family."
The teen admitted she was under the influence of Xanx and alcohol when she made the obscene middle finger gesture and rude comments.
After her tearful apology, the judge dropped the contempt charge and released her from jail.
Soto's lawyer said she will complete a court ordered drug treatment program to address her charges of possessing Xanax.
children, drugs, alcohol, national/world
- Broken water line in San Francisco's Lower Haight 30 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat 14 min ago
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday