Teen who flipped off judge apologizes, now out of jail
MIAMI (KGO) -- A Florida teenager is out of jail after she made a tearful apology to the judge she insulted.
The antics of 18-year-old Penelope Soto on Monday went viral online. It also resulted in the judge doubling her $5,000 bail on a drug possession charge and giving her 30 days in jail for contempt.
On Friday the woman was back in a Miami-Dade court, and much more humble in front of the same judge.
"My behavior was very irrational," Soto said. "And I apologize not only to the court and you, but also to my family."
The teen admitted she was under the influence of Xanx and alcohol when she made the obscene middle finger gesture and rude comments.
After her tearful apology, the judge dropped the contempt charge and released her from jail.
Soto's lawyer said she will complete a court ordered drug treatment program to address her charges of possessing Xanax.
children, drugs, alcohol, national/world
- Mudslide causes trees on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 13 min ago
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
13 min ago