Teen who flipped off judge apologizes, now out of jail
MIAMI (KGO) -- A Florida teenager is out of jail after she made a tearful apology to the judge she insulted.
The antics of 18-year-old Penelope Soto on Monday went viral online. It also resulted in the judge doubling her $5,000 bail on a drug possession charge and giving her 30 days in jail for contempt.
On Friday the woman was back in a Miami-Dade court, and much more humble in front of the same judge.
"My behavior was very irrational," Soto said. "And I apologize not only to the court and you, but also to my family."
The teen admitted she was under the influence of Xanx and alcohol when she made the obscene middle finger gesture and rude comments.
After her tearful apology, the judge dropped the contempt charge and released her from jail.
Soto's lawyer said she will complete a court ordered drug treatment program to address her charges of possessing Xanax.
children, drugs, alcohol, national/world
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- FEMA to fund removal of trees from East Bay Hills
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- Report: Yahoo nearing $1.1B acquisition of Tumblr
- Get Free Stuff: Purse, nail kit, comedy show
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Bay to Breakers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday