Teen who flipped off judge apologizes, now out of jail
MIAMI (KGO) -- A Florida teenager is out of jail after she made a tearful apology to the judge she insulted.
The antics of 18-year-old Penelope Soto on Monday went viral online. It also resulted in the judge doubling her $5,000 bail on a drug possession charge and giving her 30 days in jail for contempt.
On Friday the woman was back in a Miami-Dade court, and much more humble in front of the same judge.
"My behavior was very irrational," Soto said. "And I apologize not only to the court and you, but also to my family."
The teen admitted she was under the influence of Xanx and alcohol when she made the obscene middle finger gesture and rude comments.
After her tearful apology, the judge dropped the contempt charge and released her from jail.
Soto's lawyer said she will complete a court ordered drug treatment program to address her charges of possessing Xanax.
children, drugs, alcohol, national/world
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF 6 min ago
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student 7 min ago
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos