Owl gets stuck in grill of SUV in Florida
Plantation, Fla. (KGO) -- A great horned owl had the ride of its life late last week in Florida.
The owl got stuck inside the front grill of an SUV, after being accidently run over Thursday night by a woman driving down the Florida Turnpike.
The driver, Sonji Coney Williams, never knew the bird was in there. She knew she had hit the owl, but assumed it had bounced into bushes. She got a huge surprise the next day, some 60 miles from where she hit the owl.
"There was a family that pulled in front of my parking space and flagged me down and said, 'Don't move, don't move, you have something in the grill of your truck. I said, 'Yes, what is it?' And they said, 'It's an owl.' And I said, 'An owl?'" said Williams.
The woman called Florida Fish and Wildlife and an officer came over to free the bird from the grill. Williams felt so guilty for hitting the owl she had a hard time looking at it and even shed a few tears.
The owl seems to be just fine.
animals in peril, national/world
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 19 min ago
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos